How to avoid losing your driver’s license may seem like common sense to most, but then, so is going the speed limit and stopping at stoplights and those are the two most common moving violations in Kansas and Missouri. The state of Missouri uses a point system to manage driving records and the state of Kansas considers each violation individually, both with time restraints as well as harsher penalties following each offense. Below is a general discussion of how to avoid losing your driver’s license.
- Prevention: Following the rules of the road is the best way to avoid losing your driver’s license.
- Driving Under the Influence: In both Kansas and Missouri, the penalty for driving under the influence (DUI) or a (DWI) is suspension followed by revocation of your driver’s license with multiple convictions. A driver may also lose their driver’s license following a traffic stop if an officer suspects driving under the influence and the driver refuses to participate in a roadside breathalyzer and/or test. This also applies to the refusal of further testing at the police station. A driver can avoid losing their driver’s license by not driving under the influence; but also, cooperating with local law enforcement if stopped.
- Hit and Run: Regardless of which driver is at fault in a car accident, both drivers are required by law to stop. Fleeing the scene of an accident will result in harsher penalties, increased fines, possible arrest, and suspension of your driver’s license. If the hit and run involve a pedestrian, suspension of your driver’s license will be the least of your concerns as jail time will likely follow. If involved in a car accident, avoid losing your driver’s license by stopping, giving a report to law enforcement officers, and identifying yourself with identification and proof of insurance.
- Reckless Driving: Engaging in reckless driving, street racing, or road rage of any type will most likely lead to a loss of your driver’s license following multiple offenses. Avoid losing your driver’s license by not participating in any type of reckless driving.
- Follow the Rules: Failure to abide by traffic safety rules can result in suspension or revocation of your driver’s license with multiple offenses. How to avoid losing your driver’s license? Simply, follow the rules.
Avoid losing your driving license by remembering that driving is a privilege and refusing to follow the rules of the road will undoubtedly cause your license to be revoked or suspended.