Personal injury is defined by Merriam-Webster.com as an injury affecting one’s physical and mental person as contrasted with one causing damage to one’s property. A personal injury can be complicated and can range from sustaining a physical injury from slipping and falling in your grocers produce aisle to a bodily injury as a result from a car accident. A personal injury can be handled independently; however, having a personal injury lawyer on your team to help represent your interests both immediate and long term will lead to the largest positive outcome. Here are some benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer.
- Usually Free Consultation: Generally speaking, a benefit of hiring a personal injury lawyer is a free consultation. This consultation will answer questions and help you decide whether or not you should pursue legal action. Most personal injury lawyers work for a contingency fee meaning they will only be paid if you win your case.
- Knowledge: An experienced personal injury lawyer will have working knowledge in both state and federal laws in very broad terms. Often individuals without representation and only basic knowledge of complicated laws fall short within their states Statute of limitations or the deadline to file a claim. Another benefit of hiring a personal injury lawyer is their ability to answer questions and provide education to you as the claimant.
- Objectivity: A personal injury can result in emotional distress, pain and frustration with the situation. An objective point of view can bring clarity to mediation (intervention) with involved parties which does include insurance companies.
- Insurance Companies: Despite how friendly the insurance adjuster is over the phone if you are speaking to them without representation, it is a safe bet that a smaller settlement will be offered. A personal injury lawyer may be able to communicate with different insurance representatives as well as be able to negotiate a higher settlement.
- Medical Treatment: Acute medical care should be accessed immediately after injury and these expenses can add up fairly quickly. Having legal representation to help navigate the maze of health insurance vs auto insurance coverage vs medical care on a lien may be the biggest benefit of hiring a personal injury lawyer.
- Time: Sustaining a personal injury is stressful and the aftermath is time consuming. The mountains of paperwork required, analyzing confusing terms and accident investigation or reconstruction is best suited in the hands and staff of an experienced personal injury lawyer so you can move forward with your life.
- Settlement: As discussed earlier, a benefit of hiring a personal injury lawyer may lead to a higher settlement from the claimants and or the defendants insurance company which may or may not be reached through conversation between lawyers.
- Mediation and Negotiation: In the case that a settlement from conversation cannot be realized, hiring a personal injury lawyer at this point will be unavoidable for mediation and or negotiation.
- Trial Representation: If a settlement is unattainable and your case goes to trial, going without legal representation would be a mistake. The procedures and rules of court are best understood by lawyers. On the occasion that trial goes to litigation, legal representation is necessary.
- Other: Other attorneys, other insurance companies, other dispute resolutions. The “others” are overwhelming, and the benefit from hiring a personal injury lawyer is unmistakeable.
This information is very brief for the nature of the content and it is not meant to replace a consultation with a personal injury lawyer. Hiring a trusted and experienced personal injury lawyer such as, Reginald Keith Davis, to advocate on your behalf to help you receive a prompt settlement is the best answer. Hablamos Espanol.